Sunday, August 3, 2014

Hands of Hope Update August 3, 2014


Dana Reynolds and Suzanne Gayda & several Spanapark Lions, visited our Club a few months ago on invitation to share Dana's Hands of Hope mission experiences.  The Rainier Lions gave a donation to Dana for her recent trip.  This is the email from Dana:



From: Dana Reynolds dreynoldspta@hotmail.com

Sent: Sun, Aug 3, 2014 6:48 pm
Subject: Hands of Hope update

Dear friends and patrons of Hands of Hope,

Amidst this ever-changing world, it warms my heart to know there is at least one constant: the innocence, curiosity and joy of the children in the small school community of Taucca. These children consistently inspire me to continue walking the path of service. 

Upon my first visit to the Taucca Primary School the children showered me with exuberant hellos, hugs, smiles, and longing to know more about the objects I arrived with. I brought a class set of foam geometric math manipulatives and a larger plastic set of geometric shapes for the teacher to use as models. Later when I asked the children what they would like, a chorus of children spontaneously erupted with "libros, libros, madrina" (books, books, god-mother). We had been enjoying the one large picture book about dinosaurs and it was apparent how thirsty these children are to learn. It confirmed my goal to fund raise for a Hands of Hope van (book mobile) - a traveling library to share with several communities. Children naturally want to learn more about their world and of course these children are no exception. As a result of that visit and thanks to your generosity, I went shopping and returned with many beautiful Spanish children's non-fiction hard cover picture books about various animal groups. I hoped that these would whet their appetites to continue seeking answers to the many questions that fill their minds. (The books were a big hit!!)

















This year my teacher friend, Corinne, from Washington is here for 2 months and has joined me when visiting Taucca. I know the children have touched her heart as they have mine. She planned and practiced to share a few read-aloud Spanish books.

Since fruit is not easily accessible at this altitude, we planned a fruit fiesta to enjoy after the sharing of books. This time we arrived with watermelon, papaya, grapes and apples. These were a special treat since we typically arrive with a large supply of oranges and bananas. 

The children had also prepared little group presentations to share and then we played store - the children had small items that had price tags and they gave the mothers and myself pretend money to shop and they would give us change for our purchases. It was delightful to witness the joy and pride when they were correct.

Last August, Hands of Hope had a balance $13,100. towards our goal of $35000 for a HOH book mobile. In the spring we were at $15,600 and before I left in  July we had $20,056. I also have money to use here this summer to meet the needs of theTaucca school community at this time. I will keep you updated on our progress here.

Thank you all for your continued support and well-wishes for Hands of Hope. We are making a difference in the lives of theses children and their families.

Dana

No comments:

Post a Comment